Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk’s new “comedy-horror” show for Fox premiered last night with two whole hours of screams and laughs*. So was it any good? Did it bring the screams? Did it make you bust a gut? Has it changed the course of TV horror for ever?!? Here are my quick takes on last night’s premiere:
SPOILERS ABOUND!!! YOU ARE FOREWARNED!!!
TOP FIVE THINGS THAT WERE GOOD
- The music they used throughout the double-decker premiere was good. I want it in a playlist called “Cool Lame Dad’s Scream Queens Sampler”
- Jamie Lee Curtis’ post-coitus pot smoking monologue
- Jamie Lee Curtis’ overall performance
- Nick Jonas’ scheming character (also, his naked torso)
- This bullet left blank.
TOP FIVE THINGS THAT SUCKED
- I’ve seen this story-line somewhere else recently, now where might that have been?
- The tone was all over the place
- *I did not scream
- *I didn’t laugh, not a once. I maybe smiled politely twice.
- Murphy & Co are terrible at anything to do with race, gender, disability, etc. again. See #4 in this list and their attempts at humor in the premiere.
Of interest to some, Deadline is reporting that Scream Queens 2 hour premiere did so-so.
Scream Queens (1.6 in fast nationals) proved again how hard it is to convert social media buzz into Nielsen eyeballs. Scream Queens, which generated the most social media buzz pre-launch, had very high awareness but its intent to view was relatively low, which could explain the so-so premiere rating.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ACROSS THE KINJA-VERSE
io9’s Cheryl Eddy Tried to Warn Us.
From Gawker’s Morning After: Rich Juzwiak’s Take on “The Best Scene” from Last Night
Over at Jezebel’s The Muse, Madeleine Davis Thought Scream Queens Was “laugh-out-loud funny”.
io9’s True Crimes Blog has Cheryl Rounding Up the Prime Suspects of Scream Queens
What say you Odeckians? Share your thoughts in the comments. If you have a link to a recap/review then drop it in the comments and I’ll add it above under “What Others Are Saying”.