We have a handful of shows ending this month, but lots of premieres, including ones with a certain mad man with a box, the science guy and a brain-eating coroner’s assistant. April also sees the premiere of shows based on novels by Phillippa Gregory, Margaret Atwood and Neil Gaiman. Check below to find out what’s coming up.
Bolded title = premiere
Italicized bolded title = finale (mid, season, series, etc)
Imaginary Mary (ABC) **Sneak Peek [time slot premiere on April 4]
- Live-action/CGI project centers on Alice, a fiercely independent career woman whose life is turned upside-down when she meets the love of her life – a divorced father with three kids. This triggers even more upheaval when the slightly unhinged imaginary friend she created as a child suddenly reappears to help her navigate the transition from single girl to a woman ready for a family.
The Discovery (Netflix) **Movie
- One year after the existence of the afterlife is scientifically verified, millions around the world have ended their own lives in order to “get there”. A man and woman fall in love while coming to terms with their own tragic pasts and the true nature of the afterlife.
Black Sails (Starz) **Series Finale
The Walking Dead (AMC) **Season Finale
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell (Adult Swim)
Outcast (Fox UK)
Agents Of SHIELD, Marvel’s (ABC)
Dimension 404 (Hulu)
- A six-part sci-fi anthology series.
Legends Of Tomorrow, DC’s (CW) **Season Finale
Prison Break (Fox)
Colony (USA / Bravo - Canada) **Season Finale
Dawn Of The Croods (Netflix)
MacGyver (CBS) **Season Finale
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return (Netflix - select countries)
- One man. Three bots. And a vault of B movies just begging to be riffed. Welcome to an all-new era of MST3K.
Class (BBC America)
- Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction, this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen it before.
Doctor Who (BBC/ BBC America/ Space)
Wynonna Earp (Space - Canada) **Season 1, 2-hour premiere
The White Princess (Starz)
- Set in 1485 and is a follow-up to miniseries The White Queen, continuing the story of the War of the Roses. It covers the conclusion of the war and the rise of the House of Tudor through the marriage of Princess Elizabeth of York, the White Queen’s daughter, to King Henry VII Tudor. Based on the Phillippa Gregory novel.
The Expanse (Syfy / Space - Canada) **Season Finale
The Magicians (Syfy) **Season Finale
The Magicians (Showcase - Canada) **Season Finale
Bill Nye Saves The World (Netflix)
- Each episode will tackle a topic from a scientific point of view, dispelling myths, and refuting anti-scientific claims. In Bill’s unfiltered style, he will bring in special guests, conduct experiments and demonstrations, and ultimately let the facts lead the argument.
Thunderbirds Are Go (Amazon)
Bates Motel (A&E) **Series Finale
The Flash (CW)
Genius (Nat Geo)
- An anthology that will focus on one of history’s great minds each season. Up first: Geoffrey Rush plays Albert Einstein in an eight-episode adaptation of Walter Isaacson’s book Einstein: His Life and Universe.
The 100 (CW)
The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
- Gilead is a totalitarian society with a plunging birthrate ruled by a twisted religious fundamentalism that treats women as property of the state. As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred is a Handmaid in the Commander’s household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world. In a society where one wrong word could end her life, she has one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her. Based on the Margaret Atwood novel.
American Gods (Starz)
- Released from prison, Shadow finds his world turned upside down. His wife has been killed; a mysterious stranger offers him a job. But Mr. Wednesday, who knows more about Shadow than is possible, warns that a storm is coming — a battle for the very soul of America... and they are in its direct path. Based on the Neil Gaiman novel.
Good Witch (Hallmark)
The Handmaid’s Tale (Bravo - Canada) **2-hour Premiere
The Mars Generation (Netflix) **Documentary
- The definitive look at mankind’s future journey to Mars, as told through the eyes of the teens who will be the first ever to set foot on the Red Planet, as well as the leading experts currently pushing the boundaries of technology and innovation in space exploration. The film follows a group of trainees, ages 15-18, at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center as they prepare to become the engineers, astrophysicists and astronauts of tomorrow.
Scorpion (CBS) **Season Finale
12 Monkeys (Syfy) **4-hour Premiere, 3-night event
- Set in the distant future where what’s left of the human race resides within the Megastructure, a vast and dangerous labyrinth that has grown wild and out of control. Thrown into this world is the mysterious Killy, a strange individual who is on a quest to bring civilization back from the brink of oblivion. (Anime)
12 Monkeys (Syfy) **Season Finale
Elementary (CBS) **Season Finale
Twin Peaks (Showtime)
- The original series followed the residents of a quaint northwestern town who were stunned when homecoming queen Laura Palmer was murdered. Twenty-five years later, the story continues...
Dark Matter (Syfy / Space - Canada)
Wynonna Earp (Syfy / Space - Canada)
Orphan Black (BBC America / Space - Canada) **Final Season
Blood Drive (Syfy / Space - Canada)
- Los Angeles in the near future: where water is a scarce as oil, gas costs $60 per gallon, and climate change keeps the temperature at a cool 115 in the shade. It’s a place where no one can walk down the street without protection, where crime is so rampant that only the worst violence is punished, and where Arthur Bailey — the city’s last good cop — runs afoul of the dirtiest and meanest underground car rally in the world, Blood Drive. The master of ceremonies is a vaudevillian nightmare, The drivers are homocidal deviants, and the cars run on human blood.
Killjoys (Syfy / Space - Canada)
- An MIT grad student and a tech superstar bring a low-level Pentagon official a staggering discovery – that an asteroid is just six months away from colliding with Earth.
Game Of Thrones (HBO)
Death Note (Netflix) **Movie
- Intoxicated by the power of a supernatural notebook, a young man begins killing those he deems unworthy of life. Based on the famous Japanese manga.
Midnight, Texas (NBC)
- About a small town in Texas where the real world bumps up against a host of otherworldly phenomena. Based on novels by Charlaine Harris.
The Defenders, Marvel’s (Netflix)
Follows Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, a quartet of singular heroes with one common goal – to save New York City. This is the story of four solitary figures, burdened with their own personal challenges, who realize they just might be stronger when teamed together.
Stranger Things (Netflix)
Bates Motel (A&E)
Black Sails (Starz)
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs: The Series (Cartoon Network)
Colony (USA / Bravo - Canada)
The Expanse (Syfy)
Guardians Of The Galaxy, Marvel’s (Disney XD)
Imaginary Mary (ABC)
Into The Badlands (AMC)
The Last Man On Earth (Fox)
Legends Of Tomorrow, DC’s (CW)
Lucky Man, Stan Lee’s (Sky 1 - UK)
The Magicians (Syfy)
Making History (Fox)
My Knight And Me (Boomerang)
Oasis (Amazon) **Pilot
- Set in the near future, Oasis tells the story of priest Peter Leigh, who is called to a remote planet where a mysterious multinational company is building the first permanent off-Earth human colony. The planet, Oasis, is humanity’s last chance to escape from Earth’s impending collapse, but it quickly becomes apparent that it may not be as hospitable to humanity as it seems…
Once Upon A Time (ABC)
The Originals (CW)
Riverdale (CW / Netflix - Non-US)
Samurai Jack (Adult Swim)
Tangled: Before Ever After (Disney)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
TBA - UPCOMING
The Alienist (TNT)
- A psychological thriller set in 1896 New York. When a series of haunting, gruesome murders of boy prostitutes grips the city, newly appointed police commissioner Theodore Roosevelt calls upon criminal psychologist (aka alienist) Dr. Laszlo Kreizler and newspaper reporter John Moore to conduct the investigation in secret. Using the emerging disciplines of psychology and early forensic investigation techniques, they track down one of New York City’s first serial killers. Based on the novel by Caleb Carr.
Altered Carbon (Netflix) - 2018
- Based on the Richard Morgan book which is set in the 25th century and explores what happens when the human mind becomes digitized and the soul is transferable from one body to another. Takeshi Kovacs, an ex-elite interstellar warrior known as an Envoy who has been imprisoned for 500 years, is downloaded into a future he had tried to stop. If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he will get a chance at a new life on Earth.
Big Hero 6 (Disney XD) - Fall
- Takes place after the events of the 2014 film. (Animated)
Blood Drive (Syfy)
- LA’s last good cop is forced to join a twisted and gory cross-country death race. The cars are fueled by blood and his partner, a dangerous femme fatale, sees people as fuel.
- A dark medieval fantasy following the last surviving member of the disgraced Belmont clan, trying to save Eastern Europe from extinction at the hand of Vlad Dracula Tepe himself. Inspired by the classic video game series.
Castle Rock (Hulu)
- Psychological-horror series explores the themes and worlds uniting the entire Stephen King canon. It combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland.
Channel Zero: The No-End House (Syfy) - October
- A young woman named Margot Sleator visits the No-End House, a bizarre house of horrors that consists of a series of increasingly disturbing rooms. When she returns home, Margot realizes everything has changed.
Cloak and Dagger, Marvel’s (Freeform)
- Follows Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness.
The Cloud (Channel 4 - UK)
- The job of Cloud Station 13 is to protect the vast amounts of information the human population now hoards on its endless devices - the majority of which comprises of selfies, copious pictures of kittens and a lot of porn.
- The disparate group who man the hub are anything but technical whizzes; which would matter less if technology - including a largely voice activated ship - was a little more reliable.
- A family saga with a supernatural twist is set in a German town in present day where the disappearance of two young children exposes the double lives and fractured relationships among four families. The story takes on a supernatural twist that ties back to the same town in 1986.
Extinct (BYUtv) - Spring
- Set 400 years after the human race has gone extinct, and follows a small band of humans who have been revived / brought back into existence by a mysterious alien civilization.
Final Space (TBS) - 2018
- Follows astronaut Gary and his adorable, planet-destroying friend, Mooncake. Starting in 2018, the two embark on a quest to unlock the mystery of ‘Final Space’, the place where the entire universe ends. (Animated)
Hilda (Netflix) - 2018
- Based on the graphic novels by Luke Pearson. The series follows the journey of a fearless blue-haired girl as she travels from her home in a vast magical wilderness full of elves and giants to the bustling city of Trolberg, where she makes new friends and discovers mysterious creatures who are stranger –and sometimes more dangerous– than she ever expected. (Kids)
The Hollow (Netflix) - 2018
- The series opens with three teens, Adam, Kai and Mira, as they awake confused and alone in an underground bunker. Wandering through a maze of bizarre towns, odd time portals, dangerous beasts and quirky characters, the three strangers are forced to band together as they search for a way back home. (Kids)
The Inhumans, Marvel’s (ABC) - Fall 2017 [IMAX preview early September]
Knightfall (History) - Fall
- Chronicles the mysterious but true accounts of the Knights Templar, the elite warriors of the Crusades. Delving into the great secrets protected by the Templars, it tells the story of faith, loyalty and brotherhood that help sustain these warriors on the battlefield and the dark events that would forever sear the infamous date of Friday the 13th into the world’s psyche.
Lego Elves (Netflix)
- Emily Jones returns through the portal to Elvendale with her little sister, Sophie. After charming many of the Elves upon her arrival, Sophie is taken by the cruel Goblin King and his evil minions. Emily and her cast of Elf friends head deep into a magical forest to save her sister and free Goblin Village from its tyrannical king.
Lost In Space (Netflix) - 2018
- Centers around the Robinson family, who is forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons. Equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure, it is a survival story for the ages.
- A guy lives a fantasy life in his dreams but in reality is locked up at an institution. Based on the 2014 Norwegian series.
The Mist (Spike)
- Tells the story of a foreboding mist that arrives in one small town ushering in a terrifying new reality for its residents, putting their humanity to the test. What will people do to survive when blinded by fear?
Orville (Fox) - 2017?
- Set 300 years in the future, the show follows the adventures of the Orville, a not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar fleet.
Perfect Bones (Netflix)
- Set in the future where scientists have tried to create the “perfect human” in hopes of keeping peace in the universe. After nearly achieving their goal through several children, the scientists send their “new humans” for further training where they are kidnapped by an evil organization set on using their powers to implement their own concept of a new world order. (Anime)
Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams (Channel 4 - UK / Amazon - US)
- A 10-part anthology series based on the work of Philip K. Dick.
The Punisher, Marvel’s (Netflix)
- Follows the Punisher, who is the alter ego of military veteran Frank Castle, who wages a one-man war against crime after his wife and children are killed during a shootout by rival mob outfits. The character’s belief in killing criminals rather than apprehending them frequently puts him at odds with Marvel’s traditional heroes.
The Rain (Netflix)
- Ten years after a brutal virus has wiped out most of the population in Scandinavia, two young siblings embark on a search for safety. Only guided by their father’s notebook about the virus and the hazards of this new world, they start a dangerous journey through the country joining a group of other young survivors. Facing grave perils, the group must quickly realize that the greatest danger does not come from the outside - it comes from within.
Red Mars (Spike) - Production on Hold
- Based on the Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars Trilogy novels that chronicle the settlement and terraforming of the planet Mars.
Robozuna (CiTV - UK / Netflix - International) - early 2018
- An orphaned 14-year-old boy, Ariston, and his homemade robot friend, Mangle, attempt to free their oppressed nation from an evil empire and its legion of robot centurions. (Animated)
Somewhere Between (ABC) - Summer
- Centers on a mother who knows when and how her daughter will be murdered but doesn’t know who the perpetrator is. She does everything in her power to prevent it from happening, but her daughter’s fate seems set in stone.
Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All Access/ Space - Canada/ Netflix - International) - May 2017
- The series will feature a new ship, new characters, and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.
Still Star-Crossed (ABC) - Fall?
- The show picks up where the famous Romeo & Juliet story ends, following the Montagues and Capulets in the wake of the tragic fate of the young lovers. Based on the Melinda Taub book.
Stretch Armstrong (Netflix) - Late 2017
- From Hasbro Studios comes an animated action/comedy series about over-scheduled teenager Jake Armstrong and his two best friends. When the trio are accidentally exposed to an experimental chemical, they become Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, a team of unlikely superheroes who expand beyond the confines of their lives and embark on a series of adventures.
Super Monsters (Netflix) - Late 2017
- As preschoolers with super powers, Drac, Cleo, Lobo, Katya, Zoe and Frankie are students with dual identities: humans by day and magical monsters by night. Enrolled at the prestigious Pitchfork Pines Preschool, the group of friends work together under the leadership of their teachers, Igor and Esmie, as they attempt to master their seemingly untamable powers. (Animated)
Superstition (Syfy) - Late 2017
- Set in a mysterious town outside New Orleans. Here, the Mosley family owns the only funeral home and the family is the keeper of the town’s dark secrets and history. The town is known for its haunted houses, elevated graveyards, odd people, unusual phenomena and most importantly, the world’s darkest manifestations of fear, guided into this world by an ancient and mysterious malefactor named The Dredge.
Tales From The Crypt (TNT)
- Anthology based on the original EC Comics by William Gaines as well as new stories.
The Terror (AMC)
- A Royal Navy expedition crew searching for the Northwest Passage in 1847 is attacked by a mysterious predator that stalks the ships and their crews in a suspenseful and desperate game of survival. Based on Dan Simmoms’ 2007 book, it’s a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin’s lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror.
Timewasters (ITV2 - UK)
- A struggling four-piece South London jazz band travel back in time to the 1920s via a urine-sodden lift in a dilapidated block of flats. Stuck in the past after their ‘time machine’ is destroyed, our gang decide to explore, before quickly discovering that being young and black in the Jazz Age is a lot less genteel and a lot more shady than Downton Abbey had led them to believe.
Will (TNT) - Summer
- The wild story of young William Shakespeare’s arrival onto the punk rock theater scene that was 16th century London — the seductive, violent world where his raw talent faced rioting audiences, religious fanatics and raucous side-shows. It’s the hot, contemporary, dangerous version of Shakespeare’s life, played to a modern soundtrack, exposing all his recklessness, lustful temptations and brilliance.
The Worst Witch (Netflix)
- Based on the books by acclaimed English author Jill Murphy. The show follows the ever-clumsy Mildred Hubble and her adventures as a student at Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches.
TBA - RETURNING
Cleverman (Sundance) - Spring?
Dark Matter (Syfy) - Summer
Fear The Walking Dead (AMC) - Summer
Killjoys (Syfy) - Summer
Mr. Robot (USA) - October
Outcast (Cinemax / HBO Canada) - April
Outlander (Starz / Showcase - Canada) - September
The Shannara Chronicles (MTV) - Summer?
The Strain (FX) **Final Season - Summer
Travelers (Showcase - Canada) - Fall
Am I missing anything? Let me know in the comments.