September marks the start of the traditional television season and therefore a glut of premieres. Check below to find out when all the new and returning genre shows will be coming to a small screen near you.
Killjoys (Syfy) **Season finale
Building Star Trek (Smithsonian / Discovery - Canada) **Special
- An epic film tracking the restoration of the original Enterprise and the unprecedented search for every remaining original part of the 1966 TV show. The goal: to reassemble the Original Series Star Trek bridge around authentic artifacts. Meanwhile every precious and slightly battered relic discovered in the film becomes a jumping off point to tell the incredible stories behind a series that sent popular culture…into warp drive.
From Dusk Til Dawn (El Rey)
Zoo (CBS) **2-hour Season finale
BrainDead (CBS) **2-hour Season finale
The Last Ship (TNT) **Season finale
Son Of Zorn (Fox)
- Upon arriving home on Earth for the first time in 10 years, ZORN (the voice of Jason Sudeikis), a fully animated, legendary warrior, finds that reconnecting with his live-action son, Alan, and ex-wife, Edie, while suffering through a mundane office job and the banality of suburban life, is harder than waging actual war in his distant, mystical homeland of Zephyria.
American Horror Story (FX)
Mr. Robot (USA) **2-hour Season finale
Beauty and the Beast (CW) **Series finale
Dark Matter (Syfy) **Season finale
Z Nation (Syfy) **2-hour premiere
The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
The Good Place (NBC)
- Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), an ordinary woman who enters the afterlife, and thanks to some kind of error, is sent to the Good Place instead of the Bad Place, which is definitely where she belongs. While hiding in plain sight from Michael (Ted Danson), the wise architect of the Good Place (who doesn’t know he’s made a mistake), she’s determined to shed her old way of living and discover the awesome (or at least the pretty good) person within.
Agents Of SHIELD, Marvel’s (ABC)
Scream Queens (Fox)
Red Dwarf XI (Dave - UK)
The Exorcist (Fox)
- Follows two very different men tackling one family’s case of horrifying demonic possession and confronting the face of true evil.
- The remake stars Lucas Till as the 20-something MacGyver as he creates an organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening.
Van Helsing (Syfy) **2-hour premiere
- Centers on Vanessa Helsing, the daughter of famous vampire hunter and Dracula nemesis Abraham Van Helsing. She is resurrected five years in the future to find out that vampires have taken over the world and that she possesses unique power over them. She is humanity’s last hope to lead an offensive to take back what has been lost.
Star Wars Rebels (Disney XD)
Last Man On Earth (Fox)
Once Upon A Time (ABC)
Aftermath (Syfy / Space - Canada)
- The Copeland family battles for survival when civilization comes to an apocalyptic end, triggered by massive storms, meteor strikes, earthquakes and plague – and the rise of supernatural creatures.
Channel Zero: Candle Cove (Syfy)
- Centers on one man’s obsessive recollections of a mysterious children’s television program from the 1980s, and his ever-growing suspicions about the role it might have played in a series of nightmarish and deadly events from his childhood.
Luke Cage (Netflix)
- After a sabotaged experiment leaves him with super strength and unbreakable skin, Luke Cage becomes a fugitive trying to rebuild his life in modern day Harlem, New York City. But he is soon pulled out of the shadows and must fight a battle for the heart of his city - forcing him to confront a past he had tried to bury.
Ash Vs Evil Dead (Starz)
- A dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin.
Scorpion (CBS) **2-hour premiere
- A mysterious criminal steals a secret state-of-the-art time machine, intent on destroying America as we know it by changing the past. Our only hope is an unexpected team: a scientist, soldier and history professor who must use the machine’s prototype to travel back in time to critical events.
The Flash (CW)
No Tomorrow (CW)
- When a risk-averse, straight-arrow procurement manager at an Amazon-like distribution center falls in love with a freewheeling man who lives life to the fullest because he believes the apocalypse is imminent, to comedic and poignant results they embark on a quest together to fulfill their individual bucket lists.
- A reimaging of the 2000 film. it centers on a female police detective who in 2016 discovers she is able to speak via a ham radio with her estranged father (also a detective) who died in 1996. They forge a new relationship while working together on an unresolved murder case, but unintended consequences of the “butterfly effect” wreak havoc in the present day.
Falling Water (USA)
- Revolves around three strangers who realize they are dreaming separate parts of the same dream that has big implications for each of their lives.
Legends Of Tomorrow, DC’s (CW)
Wolf Creek (Pop)
- Based on the movies, an American family vacationing in Northern Australia becomes Mick Taylor’s unsuspecting prey. The sole survivor is Eve Thorogood, a college student who vows to bring the sadistic killer to justice or die trying.
Travelers (Netflix / Showcase - Canada)
- Hundreds of years from now, the last surviving humans discover the means of sending consciousness back through time, directly into people in the 21st century. These “travelers” assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future.
Rocky Horror Picture Show (Fox) **Special
- A reimagining of the original movie, the two-hour event follows sweethearts Janet and Brad, who stumble upon Dr. Frank-N-Furter’s bizarre abode. Frank-N-Furter, a sexually ambiguous, flirtatious mad-scientist, is holding an annual Transylvanian science convention to showcase the birth of Rocky Horror – a muscle-bound specimen created solely to fulfill Frank’s desires.
Black Mirror (Netflix)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW)
The Vampire Diaries (CW) *** Final season
Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency (BBC America)
- A comedic thriller that follows the bizarre adventures of eccentric “holistic” detective Dirk Gently and his reluctant assistant Todd. Based on the comic novels by Douglas Adams.
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Salem (WGN America)
Stan Against Evil (IFC) **Double-episode premiere
- Stan is a perpetually disgruntled former sheriff of a small New England town who was forced into retirement. He has trouble relinquishing his authority to tough new sheriff Evie, but they form an unlikely alliance when both begin to realize things are not quite right. Together, they valiantly fight a plague of unleashed demons that have been haunting the town, which was built on the site of a massive 17th century witch burning.
- Two very unlikely friends who take justice into their own hands and kick literal ass on their college campus. Jules comes off as the perfect sorority dream girl, but little do her red-cup-toting sisters know, she’s got a completely different agenda come nightfall. Ophelia, your everyday stoner-hacker-hellion, has officially run out of effs to give, and when she discovers Jules may be the masked vigilante exacting justice on campus her interest in college life is re-energized.
Teen Wolf (MTV) **Final season
The Librarians (TNT)
Incorporated (Syfy / Showcase - Canada)
- Set in a near future where corporations have unlimited power, Incorporated centers around Ben Larson (Sean Teale, “Reign”), a young executive who conceals his true identity to infiltrate a very dangerous corporate world to save the woman he loves. But he’ll soon learn that he’s not the only one whose secrets may have deadly consequences.
Shut Eye (Hulu)
- A darkly comedic look at the underground world of Los Angeles storefront psychics and the organized crime syndicate that runs them. The story revolves around a disgruntled player in the organization who finds his cynical worldview challenged when he starts to experience visions that might or might not be real.
The Man In The High Castle (Amazon)
Doctor Who (BBC America) - **Christmas Special
Emerald City (NBC)
- In the blink of a tornado’s eye, 20-year-old Dorothy Gale and a K9 police dog are swept into a world far removed from our own - a mystical land of competing realms, lethal warriors, dark magic and a bloody battle for supremacy.
Beauty And The Beast (CW)
Dark Matter (Syfy)
Fear The Walking Dead (AMC)
The Last Ship (TNT)
Mr. Robot (USA)
Steven Universe (Cartoon Network)
The Strain (FX)
The 100 (CW) - Midseason
12 Monkeys - 2017
- A post-apocalyptic thriller set in near-future Brazil, where a select few are allowed to join a privileged society after undergoing an intense and competitive process.
Altered Carbon (Netflix)
- Based on the Richard Morgan book which is set in the 25th century and explores what happens when the human mind becomes digitized and the soul is transferable from one body to another. Takeshi Kovacs, an ex-elite interstellar warrior known as an Envoy who has been imprisoned for 500 years, is downloaded into a future he had tried to stop. If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he will get a chance at a new life on Earth.
American Gods (Starz) - 2017
- Based on the Neil Gaiman novel. Released from prison, Shadow finds his world turned upside down. His wife has been killed; a mysterious stranger offers him a job. But Mr. Wednesday, who knows more about Shadow than is possible, warns that a storm is coming — a battle for the very soul of America . . . and they are in its direct path.
Bates Motel (A&E) - 2017 ** Final season
Beyond (Freeform) - early 2017
- A young man wakes up from a coma after 12 years and discovers new supernatural abilities that propel him into the middle of a dangerous conspiracy.
Blame! (Netflix) - 2017
- Set in the distant future where what’s left of the human race resides within the Megastructure, a vast and dangerous labyrinth that has grown wild and out of control. Thrown into this world is the mysterious Killy, a strange individual who is on a quest to bring civilization back from the brink of oblivion. (Anime)
Blood Drive (Syfy) - 2017
- LA’s last good cop is forced to join a twisted and gory cross-country death race. The cars are fueled by blood and his partner, a dangerous femme fatale, sees people as fuel.
Bones (Fox) - 2017 **Final season
Class (BBC Three / BBC America) - Fall?
- Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction, this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen it before.
Cloak and Dagger, Marvel’s (Freeform) - 2017
- Follows Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness.
Colony (USA) - 2017
Crazy Face (Netflix) - 2017
- When people die most go quietly into the night. But some have unfinished business: scores to settle, blood to spill, axes to plant in people’s heads...These tormented souls work through their issues by possessing the living. Most of the time they walk freely amongst us, unseen by all but a special few. Amy is one of those few. She works in a bowling alley and never really imagined herself battling the legions of hell. It can play havoc with a girl’s love life. Not to mention her mind. Thankfully Amy isn’t alone. Enter Raquel. Armed with Wikipedia and a baton she bought on e-bay, Raquel’s a self-made demon hunter with a whole lot of baggage and an impressive lack of social skills. An unlikely friendship is born as Amy and Raquel attempt to navigate their way through the choppy waters of their early twenties whilst simultaneously kicking the ass of some seriously gnarly demons. What could possibly go wrong?
Daredevil, Marvel’s (Netflix) - 2018
Dark (Netflix) - 2017
- A family saga with a supernatural twist is set in a German town in present day where the disappearance of two young children exposes the double lives and fractured relationships among four families. The story takes on a supernatural twist that ties back to the same town in 1986.
The Defenders, Marvel’s (Netflix) - 2017
Doctor Who (BBC America) - Christmas Special / Apr 2017
The Expanse - January 2017
Face Off (Syfy) - 2017
Freakish (Hulu) - October
- Follows a group of high schoolers struggling against predatory mutants who have taken over their town after a chemical plant meltdown.
Game Of Thrones (HBO) - 2017
The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu) - 2017
- Gilead is a totalitarian society with a plunging birthrate ruled by a twisted religious fundamentalism that treats women as property of the state. As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred is a Handmaid in the Commander’s household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world. In a society where one wrong word could end her life, she has one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.
Hilda (Netflix) - 2018
- Based on the graphic novels by Luke Pearson. The series follows the journey of a fearless blue-haired girl as she travels from her home in a vast magical wilderness full of elves and giants to the bustling city of Trolberg, where she makes new friends and discovers mysterious creatures who are stranger –and sometimes more dangerous– than she ever expected. (Kids)
Humans (AMC) - October (Channel 4 - UK) / 2017 (US)
Imaginary Mary (ABC) - Midseason 2017
- Live-action/CGI project centers on Alice, a fiercely independent career woman whose life is turned upside-down when she meets the love of her life – a divorced father with three kids. This triggers even more upheaval when the slightly unhinged imaginary friend she created as a child suddenly reappears to help her navigate the transition from single girl to a woman ready for a family.
Into The Badlands (AMC) - 2017
Iron Fist, Marvel’s (Netflix) - 2017
iZombie (CW) - Midseason 2017
Knightfall (History) - Late 2016?
- Chronicles the mysterious but true accounts of the Knights Templar, the elite warriors of the Crusades. Delving into the great secrets protected by the Templars, it tells the story of faith, loyalty and brotherhood that help sustain these warriors on the battlefield and the dark events that would forever sear the infamous date of Friday the 13th into the world’s psyche.
Jessica Jones, Marvel’s (Netflix) - 2018
Kong: King of the Apes (Netflix) - 2017
The Leftovers (HBO) - 2017
Legion (FX) - Early 2017
- Follows the story of David Haller, a troubled young man who may be more than human. Since he was a teenager, David has struggled with mental illness. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real.
Lost In Space (Netflix) - 2018
- Centers around the Robinson family, who is forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons. Equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure, it is a survival story for the ages.
The Magicians (Syfy) - January 2017
Making History (Fox) - Midseason 2017
- Centers on three unlikely friends who find an even less likely way to travel through time, irreversibly complicating their personal lives in 2016 as the great moments of the past collide with today’s popular culture — with hilarious and quite disastrous results.
- A guy lives a fantasy life in his dreams but in reality is locked up at an institution. Based on the 2014 Norwegian series.
Mars (National Geographic) - November
- A six part global event series following the thrilling quest to reach Mars. Combining a unique blend of theatrical-quality scripted drama with documentary sequences, the series will unpack what the greatest minds in space exploration are doing today to make traveling to Mars a reality as well as dramatize the world they are working towards.
Midnight, Texas (NBC) - Midseason 2017
- About a small town in Texas where the real world bumps up against a host of otherworldly phenomena. Based on novels by Charlaine Harris.
The Mist (Spike) - 2017
- Tells the story of a foreboding mist that arrives in one small town ushering in a terrifying new reality for its residents, putting their humanity to the test. What will people do to survive when blinded by fear?
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (Netflix) - 2017
The OA (Netflix) - Fall?
The Originals (CW) - Midseason 2017
Orphan Black (BBC America) - 2017 **Final season
People Of Earth (TBS) - October
- Centers on a journalist who is investigating a support group for alleged alien abductees. Although he is very skeptical at first, he slowly becomes sympathetic to the stories of the alleged abductees and even starts to suspect he might be an abductee as well.
Perfect Bones (Netflix) - 2017
- Set in the future where scientists have tried to create the “perfect human” in hopes of keeping peace in the universe. After nearly achieving their goal through several children, the scientists send their “new humans” for further training where they are kidnapped by an evil organization set on using their powers to implement their own concept of a new world order. (Anime)
Powerless (NBC) - Midseason 2017
- An office comedy about the exceedingly average employees at an insurance company and their quest to find their own power, set in the DC Comics universe full of superheroes, villains and people just like us.
The Punisher, Marvel’s (Netflix)
- Follows the Punisher, who is the alter ego of military veteran Frank Castle, who wages a one-man war against crime after his wife and children are killed during a shootout by rival mob outfits. The character’s belief in killing criminals rather than apprehending them frequently puts him at odds with Marvel’s traditional heroes.
Red Mars (Spike) - Production on Hold
- Based on the Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars Trilogy novels that chronicle the settlement and terraforming of the planet Mars.
Reign (CW) - Midseason 2017
Rick and Morty (Adult Swim) - Fall?
Riverdale (CW) - Midseason 2017
- Archie, Betty, Veronica, and their friends that explore the surrealism of small town life and the darkness that is bubbling between Riverdale’s wholesome facade.
Salem (WGN America) - ‘Halloween week’
A Series Of Unfortunate Events (Netflix) - Fall?
- The series will follow the children as they try to solve the myster of their parents’ death, all while dodging an evil uncle who is trying to steal their fortune. Based on the Lemony Snicket children’s book series.
Shadowhunters (Freeform) - 2017
The Shannara Chronicles - Winter 2017
Sherlock (BBC / PBS) - 2017
Skylanders Academy (Netflix) - Fall
- Follows the heroic adventures of the Skylanders team, a ragtag group of heroes with unique elemental skills who travel the vast Skylands universe, protecting it from evil-doers. They achieve victory by setting aside their egos, learning to trust one another and fighting as one to maintain harmony and balance in the land. (Animated)
Sleepy Hollow (Fox) - Midseason 2017
SS-GB (mini series - BBC) - Fall?
- Based on an alternate history novel by Len Deighton, set in a United Kingdom conquered and occupied by Germany during the Second World War. The series will follow a Scotland Yard detective who investigates what appears to be a simple black market murder, only to find himself dragged into a much darker and treacherous world involving British atomic weapons research secrets.
Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All Access/ Space - Canada/ Netflix - International) - January 2017
Still Star-Crossed (ABC) - Midseason
- The show picks up where the famous Romeo & Juliet story ends, following the Montagues and Capulets in the wake of the tragic fate of the young lovers. Based on the Melinda Taub book.
Stranger Things (Netflix) - 2017
Stretch Armstrong (Netflix) - late 2017
- From Hasbro Studios comes an animated action/comedy series about overscheduled teenager Jake Armstrong and his two best friends. When the trio are accidentally exposed to an experimental chemical, they become Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, a team of unlikely superheroes who expand beyond the confines of their lives and embark on a series of adventures.
Tales From The Crypt (TNT) - 2017
- Anthology based on the original EC Comics by William Gaines as well as new stories.
Teen Wolf (MTV) - November **Final season
The Terror (AMC) - 2017
- A Royal Navy expedition crew searching for the Northwest Passage in 1847 is attacked by a mysterious predator that stalks the ships and their crews in a suspenseful and desperate game of survival. Based on Dan Simmoms’ 2007 book, it’s a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin’s lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror.
Time After Time (ABC) - Midseason 2017
- Based on the novel and movie Time After Time and described as a fantastical cat and mouse adventure through time when famed science fiction writer H.G. Wells is transported to modern day Manhattan in pursuit of Jack the Ripper.
Trollhunters (Netflix) - December
- A series from Guillermo del Toro. Set in the fictional suburb of Arcadia, our unlikely hero, Jim, and his two best friends make a startling discovery that beneath their hometown lies a hidden battle between good trolls and bad, the outcome of which will impact their lives forever.
Twin Peaks (Showtime) - 2017
- The original series followed the residents of a quaint northwestern town who were stunned when homecoming queen Laura Palmer was murdered. Twenty-five years later, the story continues...
Vikings (History) - Fall
The White Princess (Starz) - 2017
- Set in 1485 and is a follow-up to miniseries The White Queen, continuing the story of the War of the Roses. It covers the conclusion of the war and the rise of the House of Tudor through the marriage of Princess Elizabeth of York, the White Queen’s daughter, to King Henry VII Tudor. Based on Phillippa Gregory’s novel.
Will (TNT) - 2017
- The wild story of young William Shakespeare’s arrival onto the punk rock theater scene that was 16th century London — the seductive, violent world where his raw talent faced rioting audiences, religious fanatics and raucous side-shows. It’s the hot, contemporary, dangerous version of Shakespeare’s life, played to a modern soundtrack, exposing all his recklessness, lustful temptations and brilliance.
Wynonna Earp (Syfy) - 2017