Martini night in the Lizardo household. Death’s Door gin, Vya dry vermouth.
Then a Les Baux de Provence mas de Gourgonnier 2013 with our barbecue chicken and home made applesauce.
Yes, home made applesauce. It isn’t really hard.
- 4 tart green apples, quartered (Granny Smiths)
- 4 tart red apples, quartered (Pink Ladies)
- 3/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt
2 – 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400
- Combine first 4 ingredients in lg covered baking dish
- Roast 20 min, uncovered
- Reduce heat to 350
- Roast till very soft (60 - 90 min)
- Working in batches, pass the roasted apple quarters through a food mill placed over a bowl
- Discard the skins and seeds
- Sweeten the applesauce with the sugar to taste
- Sprinkle w/ cinnamon
It freezes beautifully. You do have a food mill, don’t you? Saves you the trouble of coring and peeling.