I'm in search of 80's sci fi/comic book/fantasy indie/alternative/New Wave/goth/Rock songs from the 80's!
Why? Well, as some of you know, I host a weekly 80's alt-indie rock show on http://ynotradio.net, an indie Internet-only radio station here in Philly.
As we approach Philly ComicCon next weekend, I find that I'd like to attempt a superhero/sci fi/comic book themed show for the June 20th broadcast. However, I'm either finding much cheesy (Prince's "Batdance" for example) or finding stuff that's too pop or out of our format (Joe Satriani's "Surfing With The Alien" instrumental).
So far I have a few:
* R.E.M. - "Superman"
* Laurie Anderson - "O Superman"
* Weird Al Yankovic - "Yoda" (because who doesn't love Weird Al???)
* anything from Stewart Copeland's Klark Kent side project (it's all in the name)
* The Cure - "Lullaby" ("Spider-man is having me for dinner tonight...")
* Queen - "Flash" (not really our format, but I think the GM will let me by on this one for sheer epic-ness!)
* Oingo Boingo - "Dead Man's Party" (y'know... zombies n sh**)
I would go with superhero, fantasy (too bad Led Zepplin did all the Hobbit stuff in the 70's!), sci fi, some horror tropes (zombies, vampires) etc.
Any ideas? (we can also sneak in 1979 tunes, because most got airplay int he early 80's more than in the 70's).
I think I've settled on 13 songs that will fill the hour ( allowing for 6 1/2 minutes of chatter and promo spots, etc). A lot of great suggestions, but ultimately it came down to sound, song length, release date, and whether it fit the vibe of the station format (with a few left turns here and there for fun). Here's what I'm planning on spinning Friday!! Thanks for all the ideas! O-Deck, you're the best!
* "What's on Your Mind (Pure Energy)" - Information Society (1989)
* "Superman" - R.E.M. (1986)
* That's Really Super, Supergirl" - XTC (1986)
* "Under The Milkyway" - The Church (1988)
* "Lullaby" - The Cure (1989)
* "Dead Man's Party" - Oingo Boingo (1985)
* "Space Invader" - The Pretenders (1980)
* "Ivan Meets GI Joe" - The Clash (1980)
* "She Blinded Me with Science" - Thomas Dolby (1982)
* "Yoda" - Weird Al Yankovic (1985)
* "Can U Dig It" - Pop Will Eat Itself (1989)
* "Loving The Alien" - David Bowie (1984)
* "Space Age Love Song" - A Flock Of Seagulls (1982)