Over on the Concourse Will Leitch posted a review of Ant-Man. In the comments I mentioned that the issue I see with Marvel is that their pool of characters they have left to work with is running low. So i get some angry gray reply and as you know, when you call someone a “fanboi” you know it’s on. But since I am a man of logic and rational thought, despite the commentors rudeness, I decided to see if their was merit to his claim that Marvel was fine when it came to characters to make films on. So that is what we are doing today.
So first off let’s look at the upcoming Phase 3 timeline, including the recently added MCU Spider-Man.
So as we look at it we can see that there are going to be a lot of repeats. We have CA:Civil War and Thor Rampage as well as the Infinity War two movie series. Aside from that, we have the new additons; Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and the Inhumans. This takes us to the summer of 2019
So looking ahead, where do we go from there. I think it’s safe to say that by that point we probably lose RDJ. Which means IronMan gets removed or they re-cast. Other Avengers cast might be done by then to. I don’t have contract info in front of me so I can’t say that with certainty. So Marvel will start looking for new additions to continue with Phase 4, either to replace Avengers being written off or to expand the universe. That is where I want to look.
So first off let’s see who we have already and where they are.
- Captain America-Captain America:The First Avenger, Captain America:The Winter Solider, The Avengers, The Avenger:Age Of Ultron, CA:Civil War
- Iron Man: Iron Man 1-3, The Avengers, The Avengers Age Of Ultron, CA: Civil War.
- Hulk: The Avengers, The Avengers Age Of Ultron
- Hawkeye: The Avengers, The Avengers AOU
- Black Widow- Captain America: The Winter Solider, The Avengers, The Avengers:AOU
- Thor: Thor, Thor:The Dark World, The Avengers, The Avengers:AOU, Thor:Ragnorock
- Black Panter: Black Panther
- Captain Marvel: Captain Marvel
- Ant-Man(Scott Lang): Ant-Man, Civil War
- Hank Pym: Ant-Man
- Dr. Strange: Dr. Strange
- Guardians Of The Galaxy: Guardians Of The Galaxy 1 and 2
- Falcon: Captain America:The Winter Solider Captain America Civil War
- Bucky Barnes: Captain Americas The First Avenger, Captain America:The Winter Soldier Captain Americas; Civil War
- Peggy Carter: Captain America The First Avenger, Captain America The Winter Solider, Agent Carter
- War Machine: Iron Man 1-3, The Avengers Age Of Ultron, Captain America Civil War
- Vision: Aou Civil War
- Scarlet Witch:AOU
- Luke Cage
- Iron Fist
- The Punisher
- Jessica Jones
So just based on this list it looks like Marvel has a lot of different characters already used. I suspect the plan going forward will be to promote within. Eventually perhaps we’ll see Bucky Barnes become the new Cap and Falcon become a full time Avenger. I doubt we’ll see the Netflix crew go big screen but if Marvel wants they have that option. I think enough time has passed and the Netflix series was so well received another Daredevil movie would not be box office poison. Of course we will also need additional supporting characters appear with the Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel and Black Panter movies. So i think Marvel will go that route. Going from what I’ve seen of their remaining character roster, I just can’t see a lot that hasn’t been picked already that could carry a movie. But maybe i’m completely off base here, so let’s talk it out in the comments. Hope everyone has a great weekend.