10 Months. 10 Months is how long I've been waiting to write this opener. Because, ladies, gents, and multiforms, it's time for Europeans Burn their Dread, to Pursue their true Selves and celebrate a very special Tuesday Game Room - Persona 4 Arena is finally out this week! Let's get this gaming shindig started!
What have you been playing this week?
Once again I've been blasting fools across the galaxy as the intrepid Republic Privateer Nylenna Velkan, as I venture into new territories in The Old Republic. I've been to Balmorra, Quesh, and Hoth, got myself a Mon Calamari medic as a companion (sorry, Bowdaar!), and my Twi'lek now has a getup that resembles the very best in Lando Calrissian half-capes. It's pretty fun!
Away from SWTOR, I've borrowed my brother's copy of Fire Emblem: Awakening. Aside from being an absolutely gorgeous game (the cutscenes look amazing - check out the intro one above! - it makes me jealous that I'm not experiencing them on a 3DS XL's bigger screen), even in the early goings its a fantastically deep and intriguing RTS. Mastering the weapon cycle, levelling up your characters equally, and for the love of god, not letting them die and be lost forever, is incredibly fun. I'm not far in, but it's really good.
It's a pretty dry week for games no matter where you are in the world this week - it's practically dead. Hardcore Search and Rescue Helicopter Simulators get their fix as Helicopter Simulator: Search and Rescue hits the PC, as does Pinball FX2 on friday, bringing with it a host of Star Wars-themed Pinball tables (you'd think they would've captialised on that whole 'May the 4th' thing and released it last friday, but there you go!). Apart from that... that's pretty much it. You yankeedoodles should be spending your week's money on your Mothers Day gifts rather than games this week though, anyway.
But all is not lost for us Europeans though - after almost a year of lies, complete incompetence, and general mistreatment, finally, oh god finally, the superb ArcSys X Atlus fighting game Persona 4 Arena makes its way to our shores on Friday. As you can tell by my dancing Teddie-avatar, I'm a diehard lover of all things Shin Megami Tensei, especially Persona - so it has been a long, agonising wait to watch Japanese and US gamers get their paws on Chie, Akihiko, Liz and the others since early August 2012, but it's finally over. I've had my copy preordered on Amazon since last September! I've been listening to this all weekend to amp myself up, and I'm ready to duke it out as mah gurl Naoto. Can't wait!
Anyone picking up something new this week, or dipping back into your backlog?
And now, the News
Once again it's time for a few select picks from the last week of Gaming news, via Eurogamer:
- The new sequel to Zone of the Enders has been scrapped - Man, that's disheartening. I absolutely love ZoE, it was one of those games that came out of nowhere (my brother bought it for the MGS2 demo that was packed with it) and completely enthralled me, capturing me at the height of my Mecha adoration as an 11 year old. I hope after Kojima's finished doing... whatever the hell he's doing for MGS 5, he'll consider a return to Jehuty.
- The EAmpire Strikes Back: EA will be exclusively developing and publishing all future Star Wars video games, Visceral, DICE and Bioware all currently working on titles - Well, this is a turn up for the books. I'm not one of those internet people who instantly jumps on EA in a froth of rage, so I'm actually glad that Disney have took a quick, decisive, and honestly, pretty sensible decision with what to do with the Star Wars IP after the death of Lucasarts. This could lead to some interesting Star Wars games in the future. My suggestions/desires:
- Bioware make Mass Effect, but you're a Smuggler during the Legacy Era (or depending on when VII comes out, the new JJ-era - by the way, I desperately wanted to type The New JJedi Order there, but chose against it). As long as I'm not a Jedi again.
- Battlefront by DICE, on the new Frostbite Engine.
- Maxis make SimCloud City.
- PopCap release either Bejeweled: Kaiburr Crystal Edition or Plants vs. Geonosians.
- Meet Michael, Trevor and Franklin in the 3 new GTA V trailers - I was burned pretty badly by GTA IV, but I'm willing to come back to the fold if Rockstar keep up with this sort of more lighthearted (in only the way GTA can be), brighter look. Michael's trailer is probably my favourite. I cautiously await that September release...
- Bioshock Infinite's DLC could feature a new, Elizabeth-like A.I companion - I suggest Solves, Solved, Will Solve (For Physics!), a Co-op Portal rip off where you play as Rosalind Lutece, and Robert is your companion. Do it, Ken Levine. Doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit. Dooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
We'll be back this time next Tuesday for more gaming discussion, but for now, sound off in the comments with the games you've been playing, and what you're looking forward to this week!