We’re heading into summer with the return of some favorite shows. Only a few new shows this month, including one based on a Stephen King novella, a Disney cartoon, and Syfy’s grindhouse series featuring blood-guzzling race cars. Check below to find out about the upcoming premieres and finales.
Bolded title = premiere
Italicized bolded title = finale (mid, season, series, etc)
The Handmaid’s Tale (Channel 4 - UK)
Billy Dilley’s Super-Duper Subterranean Summer (Disney XD)
- Unexpectedly trapped in a new mysterious world, Billy, along with his classmates Zeke and Marsha, must work together to repair his science fair project, “The Cheeserator,” in order to get back to the earth’s surface. (Animated)
Class (BBC America) **Series Finale
Fear The Walking Dead (AMC)
Leftovers (HBO) **Series Finale
The White Princess (Starz) **Season Finale
Outcast (Fox - UK) **Season Finale
Dark Matter (Syfy / Space - Canada) **2-hour Premiere
Wynonna Earp (Syfy / Space - Canada)
Orphan Black (BBC America / Space - Canada) **Final Season
Face Off (Syfy)
Blood Drive (Syfy / Space - Canada)
- Los Angeles in the near future: where water is a scarce as oil, gas costs $60 per gallon, and climate change keeps the temperature at a cool 115 in the shade. It’s a place where no one can walk down the street without protection, where crime is so rampant that only the worst violence is punished, and where Arthur Bailey — the city’s last good cop — runs afoul of the dirtiest and meanest underground car rally in the world, Blood Drive. The master of ceremonies is a vaudevillian nightmare, The drivers are homicidal deviants, and the cars run on human blood.
Reign (CW) **Series Finale
American Gods (Starz) **Season Finale
The Mist (Spike)
- Tells the story of a foreboding mist that arrives in one small town ushering in a terrifying new reality for its residents, putting their humanity to the test. What will people do to survive when blinded by fear?
The Originals (CW) **Season Finale
Genius (Nat Geo) **Season Finale
iZombie (CW) **Season Finale
- Follows Mija, a young girl who must risk everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend – a massive animal named ‘Okja’.
The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu) **Season Finale
- A dark medieval fantasy following the last surviving member of the disgraced Belmont clan, trying to save Eastern Europe from extinction at the hand of Vlad Dracula Tepe himself. Inspired by the classic video game series.
- The wild story of young William Shakespeare’s arrival onto the punk rock theater scene that was 16th century London — the seductive, violent world where his raw talent faced rioting audiences, religious fanatics and raucous side-shows. It’s the hot, contemporary, dangerous version of Shakespeare’s life, played to a modern soundtrack, exposing all his recklessness, lustful temptations and brilliance.
The Handmaid’s Tale (Bravo - Canada) **Season Finale
- An MIT grad student and a tech superstar bring a low-level Pentagon official a staggering discovery – that an asteroid is just six months away from colliding with Earth.
Hooten & The Lady (CW)
- Tells the story of two globetrotting treasure hunters who set out to recover priceless legendary artifacts. Hooten is a smooth-talking, yet foolhardy, lone wolf, who often finds himself in sticky situations. Lady Alexandra is an aristocrat and British Museum curator who, despite being straight-laced, is eager to follow in the footsteps of history’s great archaeologists and venture to uncharted lands. Meeting in the thick of the Amazon jungle, they form an unlikely partnership as they travel the globe in pursuit of hidden treasures.
Game Of Thrones (HBO)
The Strain (FX) **Final Season
Descendants 2 (Disney Channel, Disney XD, ABC, Freeform, Lifetime) **Movie
- When the pressure to be royal becomes too much for Mal, she returns to her rotten roots on the Isle of the Lost where her archenemy Uma, the daughter of Ursula, has taken her spot as self-proclaimed queen of the run-down town. Uma, still resentful over not being selected by Ben to go to Auradon Prep with the other Villain Kids, stirs her pirate gang including Captain Hook’s son Harry and Gaston’s son Gil, to break the barrier between the Isle of the Lost and Auradon, and unleash all the villains imprisoned on the Isle, once and for all.
Midnight, Texas (NBC)
- About a small town in Texas where the real world bumps up against a host of otherworldly phenomena. Based on novels by Charlaine Harris.
Somewhere Between (ABC)
- She isn’t crazy: Laura (a superstar news producer) knows her 8-year-old daughter is going to be murdered. She doesn’t know who the murderer is, or why she’s killed, but she knows exactly when it will happen, where, and how. Despite this, all of her attempts to keep her daughter safe fail, and Serena’s fixed, unmovable, terrifying fate keeps her directly in the path of her killer.
Death Note (Netflix) **Movie
- Intoxicated by the power of a supernatural notebook, a young man begins killing those he deems unworthy of life. Based on the famous Japanese manga.
- A comedic journey into the hilarious world of fantasy roleplaying with Dan Harmon and his Comedian Companions.
Sharknado 5 (Syfy) **Movie
The Defenders, Marvel’s (Netflix)
- Follows Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, a quartet of singular heroes with one common goal – to save New York City. This is the story of four solitary figures, burdened with their own personal challenges, who realize they just might be stronger when teamed together.
The Last Ship (TNT) **2-hour Premiere
The Tick (Amazon)
- An underdog accountant with zero powers comes to realize his city is owned by a global super villain long-thought dead. As he struggles to uncover this conspiracy, he falls in league with a strange blue superhero.
Twin Peaks (Showtime) **2-hour Season Finale
- Set 400 years after the human race has gone extinct, and follows a small band of humans who have been revived / brought back into existence by a mysterious alien civilization.
Stranger Things (Netflix)
American Gods (Starz / Amazon - International)
Class (BBC America)
Doctor Who (BBC/ BBC America/ Space)
Genius (Nat Geo)
Good Witch (Hallmark / W - Canada)
The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu / Bravo - Canada / Channel 4 - UK)
Outcast (Fox - UK)
Still Star-Crossed (ABC)
Twin Peaks (Showtime)
The White Princess (Starz)
Wynonna Earp (Space - Canada) **Season 1
The Alienist (TNT) - Fall?
- A psychological thriller set in 1896 New York. When a series of haunting, gruesome murders of boy prostitutes grips the city, newly appointed police commissioner Theodore Roosevelt calls upon criminal psychologist (aka alienist) Dr. Laszlo Kreizler and newspaper reporter John Moore to conduct the investigation in secret. Using the emerging disciplines of psychology and early forensic investigation techniques, they track down one of New York City’s first serial killers. Based on the novel by Caleb Carr.
Altered Carbon (Netflix) - 2018
- Based on the Richard Morgan book which is set in the 25th century and explores what happens when the human mind becomes digitized and the soul is transferable from one body to another. Takeshi Kovacs, an ex-elite interstellar warrior known as an Envoy who has been imprisoned for 500 years, is downloaded into a future he had tried to stop. If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he will get a chance at a new life on Earth.
Big Hero 6: The Series (Disney XD) - Fall
- Takes place after the events of the 2014 film. (Animated)
Black Lightning (CW) - Midseason 2018
- Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, Jefferson Pierce used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad. Almost a decade later, Pierce’s crime-fighting days are long behind him…or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the cross hairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns — to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community.
Castle Rock (Hulu)
- Psychological-horror series explores the themes and worlds uniting the entire Stephen King canon. It combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland.
Channel Zero: The No-End House (Syfy) - October
- A young woman named Margot Sleator visits the No-End House, a bizarre house of horrors that consists of a series of increasingly disturbing rooms. When she returns home, Margot realizes everything has changed.
The City And The City (BBC Two)
- The body of a foreign student is discovered in the streets of the down at heel city of Beszel. Cases like this are run of the mill for Inspector Tyador Borlú of the Extreme Crime Squad - until his investigations uncover evidence that the dead girl had come from another city called Ul Qoma. But the relationship between the two cities defies comprehension and will challenge everything Borlú holds dear. Based on the novel by China Miéville.
Cloak and Dagger, Marvel’s (Freeform) - Early 2018
- Follows Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness.
The Crossing (ABC)
- Refugees from a war-torn country seek asylum in a small American fishing town, only the country these people are from is America – and the war they are fleeing hasn’t happened yet.
- A family saga with a supernatural twist is set in a German town in present day where the disappearance of two young children exposes the double lives and fractured relationships among four families. The story takes on a supernatural twist that ties back to the same town in 1986.
Final Space (TBS) - 2018
- Follows astronaut Gary and his adorable, planet-destroying friend, Mooncake. Starting in 2018, the two embark on a quest to unlock the mystery of ‘Final Space’, the place where the entire universe ends. (Animated)
The First (Hulu) - 2018
- Set in the near future about the first human mission to Mars. The series will explore the challenges of taking the first steps toward interplanetary colonization.
The Gifted (Fox) - Fall
- Reed and Caitlin Strucker are typical middle-class parents dealing with the realities of raising a family. However, when their teenage kids are involved in an incident at their high school which reveals they are mutants, Reed and Caitlin do all in their power to protect their children. Forced to go on the run, the Struckers must leave behind their old lives to flee from the Sentinel Services, a relentless government agency that tracks down mutants.
Ghost Wars (Syfy / Netflix - International) - Fall?
- Local outcast Roman Mercer who must overcome the town’s prejudices and his own personal demons if he’s to harness his repressed psychic powers and save everyone from the mass haunting that’s threatening to destroy them all.
Ghosted (Fox) - Fall
- A single-camera, action-comedy about the partnership between two polar opposites – a cynical skeptic and a genius “true believer” in the paranormal, who are recruited to investigate unexplained phenomena in Los Angeles – all while uncovering a larger mystery that could threaten the existence of the human race.
Gunpowder (BBC) **Mini-series
- While the 5th of November has long been known as Guy Fawkes Day and celebrated with bonfires, fireworks and effigies, the three-part drama will reveal how it wasn’t all about Guy Fawkes and his tunnels under Parliament. Instead, we meet Catesby, the 30-year-old Warwickshire gentleman who masterminded the failed assassination attempt on King James.
Happy! (Syfy) - 2018
- Nick Sax – an intoxicated, corrupt ex-cop turned hit man – who is adrift in a world of casual murder, soulless sex and betrayal. After a hit gone wrong, his inebriated life is forever changed by a tiny, relentlessly positive, imaginary blue winged horse named “Happy”.
Hard Sun (BBC) - Fall
- Set in contemporary London, detectives Robert Hicks and Elaine Renko must somehow learn to work together if they’re going to survive until the end of the world.
The Haunting Of Hill House (Netflix)
- A modern re-imagining of Shirley Jackson’s 1959 novel about people living in an old mansion where supernatural phenomena is occurring.
Hilda (Netflix) - 2018
- Based on the graphic novels by Luke Pearson. The series follows the journey of a fearless blue-haired girl as she travels from her home in a vast magical wilderness full of elves and giants to the bustling city of Trolberg, where she makes new friends and discovers mysterious creatures who are stranger –and sometimes more dangerous– than she ever expected. (Kids)
The Hollow (Netflix) - 2018
- The series opens with three teens, Adam, Kai and Mira, as they awake confused and alone in an underground bunker. Wandering through a maze of bizarre towns, odd time portals, dangerous beasts and quirky characters, the three strangers are forced to band together as they search for a way back home. (Kids)
The Inhumans, Marvel’s (ABC) - Fall 2017 [IMAX preview early September]
- After the Royal Family of Inhumans is splintered by a military coup, they barely escape to Hawaii where their surprising interactions with the lush world and humanity around them may prove to not only save them, but Earth itself.
IO (Netflix) **Movie
- The story of one girl’s coming of age while examining the dangers of humanity’s current relationship with the planet. Qualley will play Sam Walden, a teenager surviving as one of the last people on an abandoned post-cataclysmic Earth, who is racing to find a cure for her poisoned home world before the last shuttle off the planet to the distant human space colony leaves her stranded.
Knightfall (History) - Fall
- Chronicles the mysterious but true accounts of the Knights Templar, the elite warriors of the Crusades. Delving into the great secrets protected by the Templars, it tells the story of faith, loyalty and brotherhood that help sustain these warriors on the battlefield and the dark events that would forever sear the infamous date of Friday the 13th into the world’s psyche.
Krypton (Syfy) - 2018
- Set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet, the series follows Superman’s grandfather — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.
Lego Elves (Netflix)
- Emily Jones returns through the portal to Elvendale with her little sister, Sophie. After charming many of the Elves upon her arrival, Sophie is taken by the cruel Goblin King and his evil minions. Emily and her cast of Elf friends head deep into a magical forest to save her sister and free Goblin Village from its tyrannical king.
Lost In Space (Netflix) - 2018
- Centers around the Robinson family, who is forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons. Equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure, it is a survival story for the ages.
- A guy lives a fantasy life in his dreams but in reality is locked up at an institution. Based on the 2014 Norwegian series.
New Warriors, Marvel’s (Freeform) - 2018
- Follows six young people with powers living and working together. With powers and abilities on the opposite end of the spectrum of The Avengers, the New Warriors want to make a difference in the world … even if the world isn’t ready. Featuring Squirrel Girl, Mister Immortal, Night Thrasher, Speedball, Microbe and Debrii. (Comedy)
- Set in the future on the eve of Earth’s destruction, a crew of explorers journey on the most advanced ship in the galaxy, The Nightflyer, to intercept a mysterious alien spacecraft that might hold the key to their survival. Based on the novel by George R.R. Martin.
The Orville (Fox) - Fall
- Set 300 years in the future, the show follows the adventures of the Orville, a not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar fleet.
Perfect Bones (Netflix)
- Set in the future where scientists have tried to create the “perfect human” in hopes of keeping peace in the universe. After nearly achieving their goal through several children, the scientists send their “new humans” for further training where they are kidnapped by an evil organization set on using their powers to implement their own concept of a new world order. (Anime)
Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams (Channel 4 - UK / Amazon - US) - Fall?
- A 10-part anthology series based on the work of Philip K. Dick.
The Punisher, Marvel’s (Netflix)
- Follows the Punisher, who is the alter ego of military veteran Frank Castle, who wages a one-man war against crime after his wife and children are killed during a shootout by rival mob outfits. The character’s belief in killing criminals rather than apprehending them frequently puts him at odds with Marvel’s traditional heroes.
The Rain (Netflix) - 2018
- Ten years after a brutal virus has wiped out most of the population in Scandinavia, two young siblings embark on a search for safety. Only guided by their father’s notebook about the virus and the hazards of this new world, they start a dangerous journey through the country joining a group of other young survivors. Facing grave perils, the group must quickly realize that the greatest danger does not come from the outside - it comes from within.
Reverie (NBC) - Midseason 2018
- Mara Kint is a former hostage negotiator and expert on human behavior who became a college professor after facing an unimaginable personal tragedy. But when she’s brought in to save ordinary people who have lost themselves in a highly advanced virtual-reality program in which you can literally live your dreams, she finds that in saving others, she may actually have discovered a way to save herself.
Robozuna (CiTV - UK / Netflix - International) - Early 2018
- An orphaned 14-year-old boy, Ariston, and his homemade robot friend, Mangle, attempt to free their oppressed nation from an evil empire and its legion of robot centurions. (Animated)
Runaways, Marvel’s (Hulu) - Winter
- Six diverse teenagers who can barely stand each other must unite against a common foe – their parents.
Siren (Freeform) - Summer 2018
- Bristol Cove is a coastal town known for its legend of once being home to mermaids. When the arrival of a mysterious girl proves this folklore all too true, the battle between man and sea takes a very vicious turn as these predatory beings return to reclaim their right to the ocean.
Spider-Man, Marvel’s (Disney XD) - Summer?
- The series tells the story of an unsure but courageous teen who has to figure out how to be a super hero from the very beginning.
Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All Access/ Space - Canada/ Netflix - International) - Fall
- Follows the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new lifeforms, and one Starfleet officer who must learn that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself.
Stretch Armstrong (Netflix) - Late 2017
- From Hasbro Studios comes an animated action/comedy series about over-scheduled teenager Jake Armstrong and his two best friends. When the trio are accidentally exposed to an experimental chemical, they become Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, a team of unlikely superheroes who expand beyond the confines of their lives and embark on a series of adventures.
Super Monsters (Netflix) - Late 2017
- As preschoolers with super powers, Drac, Cleo, Lobo, Katya, Zoe and Frankie are students with dual identities: humans by day and magical monsters by night. Enrolled at the prestigious Pitchfork Pines Preschool, the group of friends work together under the leadership of their teachers, Igor and Esmie, as they attempt to master their seemingly untamable powers. (Animated)
Superstition (Syfy) - Late 2017
- Set in a mysterious town outside New Orleans. Here, the Mosley family owns the only funeral home and the family is the keeper of the town’s dark secrets and history. The town is known for its haunted houses, elevated graveyards, odd people, unusual phenomena and most importantly, the world’s darkest manifestations of fear, guided into this world by an ancient and mysterious malefactor named The Dredge.
The Terror (AMC)
- A Royal Navy expedition crew searching for the Northwest Passage in 1847 is attacked by a mysterious predator that stalks the ships and their crews in a suspenseful and desperate game of survival. Based on Dan Simmoms’ 2007 book, it’s a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin’s lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror.
Troy: Fall Of A City (BBC One - UK / Netflix - International) - Late 2017 / Early 2018
- A retelling of the fall of Troy sweeps back to the judgement of Paris, his scandalous love affair with Helen and the ill-starred prophecy surrounding his birth. Told from the perspective of the Trojan royal family at the heart of the siege, the story’s main themes are love, intrigue, betrayal and belonging.
The Worst Witch (Netflix)
- Based on the books by acclaimed English author Jill Murphy. The show follows the ever-clumsy Mildred Hubble and her adventures as a student at Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches.
Mr. Robot (USA) - October
Outlander (Starz / Showcase - Canada) - September
The Shannara Chronicles (Spike) - Fall?
Travelers (Showcase - Canada) - Fall
The Walking Dead (AMC) - October