As the guy who has joked a few times about not hurting yourself, I’ve actually been in the middle of a pretty serious fireworks accident that could have hurt or killed people. Lucky for us, it didn’t. Unfortunately a Maine man wasn’t so lucky this weekend.

Devon Staples was drinking with friends, and set a mortar tube on his head, joking about launching it. He accidentally lit the mortar, which promptly exploded and killed him instantly.

At times, we might make light of things, but there’s often pretty serious consequences.

Point of the story? Let’s be careful out there.