According to various rumor sites, Fox wants to make an X-Men television show in addition to their movie series. However, Marvel owns the television rights to the X-Men, but apparently there have been negotiations. But what if a deal does go through? What kind of show should Fox make? Well, the best choice, in my opinion, would be the awesomeness that is X-Factor.
X-Factor has been many things during the past thirty years. When it began, it was the original five X-Men pretending to be mutant hunters while actually helping mutants. And then Havok took over and it became a government team.
The best version of the team, however, is probably the one from the third volume, which began in 2006. In fact, it started with a previous mini-series called Madrox, in which Jamie Madrox the Multiple Man opened a detective agency. X-Factor expanded on that, with X-Factor Investigations featuring a number of X-characters exploring various corners of the X-Men universe. It also lasted until 2013, meaning it went on for a good long while before it became All-New X-Factor.
Why is it the best choice for a television show though? Let me list the reasons:
- It mainly uses third-tier X-characters, so the big characters can be saved for the big screen.
- Most of the characters look human, so cheap on the special effects.
- The headquarters is just a regular office, not a mansion.
- It’s about a detective agency, which makes writing case of the week stories much easier.
- It’s funny as hell.
So what characters would be used?
- Jamie Madrox, aka the Multiple Man: the leader of X-Factor Investigations, he can create “dupes” of himself, although sometimes they take on various aspects of his personality and don’t always turn out the way he hoped. He was portrayed in X-Men: The Last Stand by Eric Dane and they could certainly use him again, although they could also get a new actor. My choice would be Callum Blue.
- Theresa Cassidy, aka Siryn: Madrox’s second-in-command, daughter of Sean Cassidy, Banshee, possessor of a sonic scream. Technically was a child in X2, but since the retcon happened, can easily be an adult here. My choice would be Lara Jean Chorostecki, who was amazing in Hannibal. (Yes, even though she won’t have an Irish accent.)
- Monet St. Croix, aka M: a super-strong, super-tough, flying rich girl, Monet comes from Monaco, is Muslim, and can easily bankroll X-Factor Investigations, although she chooses not to most of the time. The perfect choice for her would be Sofia Boutella, who is not only Algerian, but was awesome as Gazelle in Kingsman: The Secret Service.
- Guido Carosella, aka Strong Guy: He’s a strong guy. Seriously, he’s hilarious. He can absorb kinetic energy and turn it into physical strength, although he has to expend that strength almost immediately or else it distorts his body. My choice would be Abraham Benrubi, who is a giant of an actor and is great with comedy.
- Layla Miller: A mysterious teenage girl who shows up to join X-Factor Investigations one day and won’t go away. She knows things. My choice would be Kacey Rohl. Sure, she’s 24, but she can pass for a teenager. And her role in Hannibal certainly shows off her acting chops.
So there you go. What other characters and/or actors would you guys use?